Mary’s birth story

That’s right! She is here!

There is no clear start time as to when the labor all began this time around. I had been having contractions off and on for a few weeks. Each time, they got stronger but never close enough together regularly to warrant a trip in. On Wednesday, October 25th, 2017, the contractions started earlier than usual. I hoped that meant that labor would be starting soon, but I didn’t get my hopes up. That night, I started getting really light headed and dizzy. Being a new symptom on top of the contractions, we called the doctor. He decided to have me go in and get checked just in case. So we dropped Alex off with my parents and went to Labor & Delivery Triage.

The week before, I was checked at my doctor’s appointment and they said I was about 3cm dilated. I was checked in triage and they found me to be 4cm dilated and 60% effaced. They checked me again a little while later and I had progressed a bit more, so it was decided that I was being admitted. The necessary messages and phone calls were made. Baby day!

I labored for a while. The contractions were happening but still not regularly. At one point, I got a short nap in which I was grateful for. Having been there since the prior evening meant no sleep. The doctor decided to break my water to move things along. That was a very interesting sensation compared to the natural break I had with Alex. And then we waited. I was able to walk the halls for a little bit to try and encourage things along. Unfortunately, the contractions still refused to get closer together. My doctor added 2 milliunits of Pitocin to my IV line to see of that would push things along. I was really hoping to avoid Pitocin this time around, but my body apparently doesn’t know how to labor without it. They got more painful and more frequent once that kicked in.

I decided to get the epidural before the contractions got unbearable. So they had someone come in and it went badly. The anesthesiologist would numb my back and then go to insert the needle for the epidural, and the pressure would be to the point of pain, or there would be pain straight down my back. I started crying from how bad it was. The anthologist was saying that it was because I was not sitting up straight, I was leaning to one side, and other reasons why it wasn’t hurting. She wanted to try another placement a bit up, but I refused. I was done. She tried to get me to change my mind, but I wouldn’t. I was sobbing from it all. Not even the contractions were hurting that bad. Bryan and I agreed that we would try again later once the contractions worsened.

They upped my Pitocin to 4 milliunits. The pain got worse and the contractions much closer together. I was starting to scream and cry with each contraction. I was doing any position I could to try to ease the pain. I asked for the epidural again. They checked me and I was close. Too late for an epidural. Too late for any pain killers. My doctor walked in and heard my screams and cries and said “It sounds like she is in transition.” Shortly after she arrived the pain reached a whole new level. It was push time. A whole 3 pushes and Mary was here!

Bryan stayed by me until I told him that I wanted him to get photos of our little girl. He didn’t need to be told twice! He was right there as she was checked over. Her Apgar scores were 7 and 9! She weighed 7 pounds and 13 ounces and was 20 ½ inches long and has wisps of blonde hair. I am very grateful that she did not have to have a NICU stay because of the Down syndrome.

We are now home and settling into our new routine. Alex is completely enamored with his new sister. He likes to hold her and help me with her bottle every morning. I’ve even heard him talking to her about who he is and we are and what they will get to do. It’s rather adorable.

One thought on “Mary’s birth story

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s